Thursday, February 11, 2010

VINTAGE THINGIE THURSDAY

Vintage Thingie Thursday is the place to find all kinds of antiques and collectibles.  Please join  Suzanne @ Colorado Lady for todays post.

I've been going  to church my entire life, usually three times a week.  The church was not like todays mega churches which I belong to.  They did not have all the eminites we have today, coffee shops, book stores, several meeting rooms.  They had usually one worship chapel, a baby nursery, sunday school rooms and sometimes a meeting hall downstairs for receptions etc.  I'm  not saying they were any less of a spiritual place to be -just different.  We sure didn't have all the air conditioning we have now, I actually have to have a jacket sometimes in the summer, it's so cold in the santuary.

My grandmother as I said before kept everything and the other day I was going through one of my keepsake boxes and found these beautiful fans she gave me.  Churches and Funeral Homes used to give these out at the door so you could "fan" yourself during the service. They would advertise on the back of the fan so you would keep them in mind.  Here are a few.
These type opened up like an accordian.

These were just one solid part with a handle, I copied one of the back to show you the advertising.

Have a wonderful day-hope you enjoy a trip down memory lane

Ann
Tin and Sparkle

13 comments:

Postcardy said...

I remember when people used fans at church, but I never saw ones with religious themes. Now you can get ones similar to the bottom one at the state fair, where everything is "on a stick" and it is usually hot enough to need a fan.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I have several old paper fans as well. I like vintage ephemera and pull my fans out periodically just to admire their beauty.

Hugs,
Liz

Unknown said...

I remember the days when the church building wasn't air-conditioned and we had many *older* ladies that had wonderful hand-held fans just a waving back and forth, lol. Yours brought back memories of sweet church ladies I knew when I was a girl :)

Blessings!
Gail

LV said...

I remember those kind of church days as well as the fans. I could back a lot further than you did of the old ways of church. Nice post.

Kim, USA said...

Oh wow this is unique, I like the picture too.

VTT~ Old horns

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

Wow, very unique! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings, Grace

Paulette said...

I have never seen these before "up close." They really are nice pieces!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh - - - I REMEMBER using those fans, especially at camp meeting, and especially the square one with the wooden stick handle!!!!

Coloradolady said...

Oh, I saw some of these recently, and the price was unbelievable... I spotted a prayer card I would have liked to have had, but the price was $15.00....that was out of my range for sure, these are really nice, look to be in wonderful condition. Thanks for linking in today and sharing your great pieces.. Have a great VTT!

Bea said...

I remember those days. Great collection.

thasnifty said...

I love the fans. That is a unique collection too :) Thank you so much for coming by my humble lil blog.
- brightest blessings-
Karina

http://thasnifty.blogspot.com

CC said...

Hi Ann,
I remember those days..and I also remember the fans. How I wish I had saved some of them. Why don't we stop and think when we're younger??? Happy vintage finds..

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

We could still use those today, couldn't we? Fun to see from a bygone era.

Sorry it took so long to get to everyone this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...