Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday - F.W. Woolworth Department Store

http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/  Joining Suzanne for todays Vintage Thingie Thursday.

How many of you remember the F.W. Woolworth Department Store in your hometown?  Boy I do, on any given Saturday, Mom, me and my sisters would get dressed up (I mean dresses, heels, gloves, purses to match) take the bus to Minnesota Avenue in Kansas City and shop.

Sometimes we would eat at the Woolworth counter, shop at Montgomery Ward's or J.C. Penney. Oh boy what memories.   I was sent this menu a few weeks ago in an e-mail.

This would have been around 1957 to 1960.  Coke is still my FAV.

Here's a photo of what Minnesota Avenue looked like in the day.

The only company still in business is J C Penney. The block now houses the police department and various offices, the buildings are still there.

Now we have hugh shopping malls, not with the same charm.

But I still have such great memories of these days. Hope you enjoyed my bit of nostalgia.


Ann

12 comments:

Coloradolady said...

I wish we still had these types of drug stores with the soda fountains...kids today just don't know what they are missing out on!! Happy VTT!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

AT first I was SO excited, I mean, I went there too!!! Then lol, I realized who's site I was on. Yes sis, we did get all dressed up and take the bus. I remember one year they pushed aside a lot of things and had a small Country band playing and dad danced with me.. Brings back some good memories. Lv u Debbie

Gail @ Victorian at Heart said...

I use to be a vendor in the Five and Dime antique mall that is in an old Woolworth's store building. It is located in Bakersfield, California. The fountain is still open for lunch and then you get to go check out all the treasures. I love to go there. In fact, I may need to go tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Dear Ann: Great post and it does bring back memories of the good ole' days! LOOK at those prices on your menu!

LV said...

Remember them very well. Thought it so sad when they closed. There were some things good in the good ole days.

Terry said...

I remember eating at Woolworth's! There was still a Woolworth in downtown San Diego when I worked and they had the best fried chicken! Thanks for the memories!

marian said...

OMG i can only imagine what fun it must've been to get all dressed up just to go shopping lol!! love the old photo and those cars WOW!

Postcardy said...

I used to love shopping in Woolworth's and old-fashioned dimestores. I can't remember eating in one however.

Pam Kessler said...

I loved going to Woolworth's. I don't think I ever ate a whole meal in one, but we used to get milkshakes and pie. Wish I could have that for dinner tonight.

Annie said...

We always considered Woolworth's a dime store, not a department store. My first memory of shopping in one took place when I was 4 or 5 years old. A family friend took me shopping with her and she bought me a pinwheel I was thrilled!

Anonymous said...

Our Woolworths did not have a counter, but I remember the one at our mall - they made the best chocolate shakes. Thanks for the memories.

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane:)
My best friend and I both worked at Woolworth's in high school.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...