Monday, November 19, 2012

R is for RURAL

R IS FOR RURAL


This weekend we traveled out of town for a family wedding.  Our destination was around 2 1/2 hours.

We love to drive in the open spaces. I was born in the country and really feel my heart belongs there.

The meaning of rural in Websters is : of or realting to the country, country people or agriculture.
How far do you have to travel now to reach rural?   Seems like our city just keeps spreading out and it takes a few hours to reach rural.

Rural tranquillity is something we are all striving for today, just to listen to the night sounds instead of horns blaring!! Rustic is something I love so all of the countryside with old buildings and machinery is a treat for me.

I took pictures out the car window--not the best quality.



I love the old and new red barns and this got me to thinking, why are most barns painted red?
I did some research on the the internest and found some interesting facts.

 
Source: internet


Years ago farmers sealed their wood with a linseed oil - a tawney color - derived from flax seed plants and it turned a burdt orange. It was a ferris oxide that was a poison to fungi and mold that grew on barns---thus the red barns.

During the late 1800's as paints were beginning to produced with pigments red was the least expensive paint so farmers used it quite a bit.

Red barns have become quite the fashion statement across the nation.


Linking withhttp://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com   for ABC Wednesday


Also linking with Susan @http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com for Outdoor Wednesday
 
 
Ann

6 comments:

Sue McPeak said...

Now that was very intersting info on why barns are Red. Thanks for sharing that. Driving the back country roads is a favorite thing of mine, too. I have a book full of Old Barn photos...some I've painted over the years, and some I've used in my Family Heritage Album as they were from my Grandparents Farm in Iowa. One for sure was RED.

Hope you and your family have a Blessed and Bountiful Thanksgiving.

Roger Owen Green said...

I didn't know that about red barns, either!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

joanne said...

rural is an understatement....I can't imagine living away from civilization, but I have never tried....Thanx for the education on red barns - I will impress someone today with my new knowledge! Happy Thanxgiving!

Amanda said...

Stopping by from the Outdoor Wednesdays link-up! I love your photos and your blog, I can't wait to read more!! (I have always loved the Wizard of Oz!!) That information about the red barns was awesome!! Thanks for sharing, have a blessed day :)

carol l mckenna said...

Informative post and great photos ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

janice smith said...

Love the info on red barns! I grew up in the city but always, always wanted to live in the country. Nineteen years ago my husband and I built a house on some family property and have been living a happy semi-rural life ever since. I feel so privileged to get to live my dream!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...