Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Orange Jack O Lantern

What does October bring?  Orange colors everywhere including my Jack O Lantern on my front porch.



Here's a cute vintage jack o lantern card I have in my collection.



I prefer my jack o lanterns to have smiling faces and not scary ones.




A cute poem I found on google

THE PUMPKIN

Oh--fruit loved of boyhood! - the old days calling.

When wood-grapes were purpling and brown nuts were falling!

When wild, ugly faces were carved into its skin,

Glaring out through the dark with a candle within!!
 written by John Greenleaf Whitter in 1807.


From Wickipedia:
The custom of making Jack O Lanterns at Halloween began in Ireland.  Many gourds could be used to make lanterns. The lanterns were variously said to represent the spirits or supernatural beings or were used to ward off evil spirits. Also it was suggested that jack-o-lanterns originally represented Christian souls in pergatory.

Regardless of the origin it's just fun to carve out faces and let them shine bright on your doorstep.

Linking with ABC WEDNESDAY



Ann

6 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

Love your jack o'lanterns! Love this time of year as well.

ABC-Wednesday said...

Wonderful choice... in just a couple of days they fit the time of the year

Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-WEDNES-day / – week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/21-o/

LV said...

I do not decorate for various occasions anymore. No fun for one.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I like Happy Halloween decorations the best, including cute Jack O Lanterns!

Rajesh said...

I like it very much.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hi Ann. Thanks for visiting! I am with you, I like the friendly faces on pumpkins. I have not heard this poem before. And I love this sweet vintage card. NOT evil and scary, but nice! Those Halloween characters below are quite something, the display must have taken a lot of work. And what a treat, I get to see YOU in a previous post! Your apron is awesome! I really need to wear one,but have been forgetting and putting it off. I will go to Wal-Mart tomorrow. I don't think I have any followers in Kansas, what a treat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...