Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vintage Thingie Thursday



Please join me and participate in Vintage Thingie Thursday with Suzanne @colorado lady.blogspot.

Several years ago I wanted to find a way to showcase some of the handmade items that I had received from grandmothers.  This was really before shadow boxes came along.  I actually like this better than a box with momentos.

I took two antique frames that I had already and lined the back with some upholstery fabric that I had kept.

I arranaged in each frame a picture of one of our grandmothers and included in each something that belonged to them.

The first one is of my maternal grandmother Jewell.  This is her white gloves that I saw her wear to church and shopping.  I also included one of her hankerchiefs.  The picture of her was taken in about 1948 in Missouri.


The next photo is of my husbands paternal  great grandparents, I believe this was taken on the day they were married.  This was taken around 1860 shortly after the end of the Civil War.  Their names were Northrup and Lucinda.  The items in the frame were made by Lucinda, a tatted colllar for a dress and a hand emborderied hankie.  Also included is a table runner that she added a tatted edging.


These pictures hang in my living room and are very special to me.

Have a wonderful Vintage Thingie Thursday.

Ann

24 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Oh, Ann....I love this idea. How clever to frame a picture with these treasures. I may have to incorporate this idea with some things I have too. I love the frames, those are so pretty. Thanks for linking in today...Have a great VTT!

Coloradolady said...

P.S. I went ahead and entered your link for you...hope that was OK

Postcardy said...

That's an attractive way to display your mementos.

Shirley said...

I love that you put those precious things in a box frame. Great way to keep them displayed.

Maureen said...

What a wonderful and honorable way to display a piece of your ancestry. I love what you have done.

Annesphamily said...

Ann these are gorgeous and so full of memories!

Barbara Jean said...

These are wonderful.
I've been making some in my mind now for awhile. this will he;op

thanks

blessings

barbara jean

Anonymous said...

That's such a lovely way to remember someone!

Miri said...

Beautiful way to display family heirlooms! Lovely!

Vonlipi said...

Great idea! A lovely to display those beautiful momentos.

LV said...

What wonderful treasure and memories you have. I love the way you are preserving them. Great job.

thasnifty said...

oh my word those are lovely! Beautiful beautiful beautiful. Such a special way to display those treasured heirlooms.

-brightest blessings-
Karina

Cindy said...

What a great idea and they look so decorative done that way, too. I love it.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

That is a fabulous idea! They turned out great.

Charlotte said...

Lovely way to remember family members.

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! And you did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! What a wonderful way to keep those memories around you.

Wendy said...

Beautiful! I love the idea of framing these special treasures and using antique frames. It is just beautiful!
Wendy

Ulla said...

Lovely way to display the old treasures!

Tara Beaulieu said...

What a special way to treasure these memories! Lovely!

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Oh I love these! Makes me want to go look for some of my grandma's things.

Gwendolen Elaine said...

Breathtaking...and even moreso because they're precious family heirlooms.

Danylle McLain said...

These are lovely! What a fine display!
Thanks for sharing

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

I love these! I have many things my mom has passed to me, but I never thought of framing them! I will give this a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...