Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Hats Off!!!!

Hats off to ABC WEDNESDAY

Hats off is an expression of  admiration for someone who has done something praiseworthy. Hats off to you is a sign of respect or congratulations. Hats off to Roger and Ms. Nesbitt for all of their hard work for keeping this alive.!!!!

There was a time in history when a mans wardrobe included a stovepipe hat and meant you were a member of the upper class, it was customary to briefly remove the hat as a sign of respect. Even though men's wardrobes have changed sometimes you still still a man tip his baseball hat in a game to show respect to the opposing team.

I was driving past a street the other day that had had quite a bit of construction done and I noticed these poles with top hats on - the caps look like hats to me.







Ann

16 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely entry... and yes we do use the same expression here in The Netherlands "Petje af" ...

I use that phrase sometimes, with a smile though, cause i don't wear one, i do not even ow some ;-)

Melody (abc-w-team)

photowannabe said...

I tip my hat to you and your fine post today.
those pictures of the pipes are just perfect.
You have a good eye to see that.

Terra said...

Goodness, the one on the left even has a face. A tip of the hat to you for seeing this and sharing it.

Roger Owen Green said...

Hats are cool. I've worn one occasionally, but hardly regularly. Thanks for the kudos!

ROG, ABC

Photo Cache said...

I like using that expression.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Nonnie said...

My dad always wore a hat. As a kid, I remember my grandmother wore a hat even to Kroger's and... gloves!

Leslie: said...

An old-fashioned symbol of respect but it would still be nice if men took off their baseball caps in the house, especially at the dinner table.

Leslie
abcw team

LV said...

It so is sad, not many people show respect like they used to. I agree, it does look like a row of hats.

Hildred said...

Yes, they do look like top hats going to a posh wedding, no doubt. Used to love hats when I was young, - spent all sorts of shopping time trying them on and trying to look glamorous...

Carin said...

What a creative picture. Hat's on! :)

Schotzy said...

Great photo capture and post.... I agree with Leslie, it would be nice with men still took off their caps in respect.....

Joy said...

I like the jaunty angles of your 'hats'.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love it! Someone should paint them to make them look like snowmen for the holidays. Blessings!

Gigi Ann said...

Love your picture today, very clever. They really do look like pipes with hats. Hats off to you for such a fun post today.

Ira said...

Such an entertaining post. As I read the posts here on ABC-W I realise that the customs all over the world were quite similar with variations according to the regions.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

They look like hats to me also.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...